With the holiday season here, many of us will be consuming foods high in sugar and other starches over the next month and a half. Which of course, means a higher risk of tooth decay. Thankfully, when a cavity forms we can place a filing to fix the tooth. How do we place a tooth-colored filling?
Try Our Quiz on Placing Tooth-Colored Fillings
- True or False: An aching tooth can be a sign of cavities.
- True or False: We can place a filling in one visit.
- True or False: The restoration will be lifelike.
- True or False: Treating decay can prevent infections.
- True. When you have a persistent toothache, or sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks, then you may be experiencing a warning sign of decay. Talk to your dentist. We can perform a diagnosis to see if you require treatment for your aching tooth.
- True. Placement begins with the removal of decay and the thorough cleaning of the tooth. We may also gently etch the tooth’s surface. We then place the prepared composite resin. As the material cures under a special light, we can sculpt the tooth. Finally, we polish the area for a more lifelike look.
- True. Composite resin contains no metal and can actually be color-matched o blend with the tooth. As a result, no one will be able to tell if you have a dental filling.
- True. We always urge our patients to seek treatment for a cavity right away. Otherwise, an untreated cavity can increase the risk of an infection or abscess developing down the road. If you have any questions about identifying or treating tooth decay, then please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR CHICAGO, IL, COSMETIC DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and our highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including: Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-8030.