Sometimes patients are unhappy with subtle shape issues in their teeth. In these cases, tooth reshaping, also known as dental contouring, is a technique that can remove small amounts of the outer covering of the tooth (tooth enamel). This can change the shape and size of, or surface of, one or multiple teeth, and works well in conjunction with dental bonding. Your Winnetka dentist, Dr. Brent A. Engelberg, will explain about the pros and cons of dental contouring.
Pros of Dental Contouring
Of all of the cosmetic dental procedures available, dental contouring is amongst one of the more conservative approaches to altering the appearance of teeth. Here’s a look at some of the pros of this procedure:
- Price – Tooth reshaping is not an extremely cost prohibitive procedure, and if your issues are a result of an injury or accident, there’s a chance your insurance might even cover some of the cost.
- Good for Dental Health – When you have small chips, cracks, or overlaps, tartar and plaque can build and be difficult to remove. Dental contouring can lower your risk of cavities and gum disease, depending on your specific case.
- Comfort – There are no nerves in your tooth enamel, so the dental contouring procedure is generally quite comfortable for the majority of patients, and requires no anesthesia.
- Avoiding Orthodontics – In some cases, tooth reshaping can make teeth appear much straighter and more aligned, and serve as a substitute for braces.
Cons of Dental Contouring
Again, depending on your particular case, there can be some disadvantages, or cons of dental contouring:
- Tooth damage: Depending on how much of your tooth enamel needs to be removed during the contouring procedure, tooth sensitivity can be a side effect afterwards. Be sure that you go to a trusted dentist because if too much tooth enamel is removed, tooth breakage can occur down the line.
- Changes are Subtle: There are many cosmetic dentistry procedures that produce astounding, life-changing, appearance-altering results. Tooth reshaping is not generally that dramatic. Dental contouring is really for patients with small imperfections.
Contact Your Winnetka Cosmetic Dentist
To schedule a consultation for any of your cosmetic dental needs, call our 60061 dentist office at 847-259-8030. We are happy to serve patients in Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, Northwest Chicago Suburbs, and Northern Chicago Suburbs.