Dental cavities are a common oral health concern and one that impacts nearly every one of us at some point in our lives. However, that doesn’t mean this isn’t a serious concern, one that if ignored could eventually lead to an infected or lost tooth. What do you know about cavities?
Try Our Quiz on Dental Cavities
- True or False: Decay forms when the enamel is compromised.
- True or False: Patients with a cavity can experience discomfort.
- True or False: Lack of treatment can mean a greater risk of infection.
- True or False: We can treat cavities with lifelike restorations.
- True. Our teeth are coated in a strong layer of enamel, the hardest substance in the human body. However, that doesn’t mean that enamel can’t become eroded due to poor oral hygiene or damaged when a tooth becomes chipped or cracked. When the enamel is compromised, then bacteria can reach the more sensitive layers of dentin below, causing a cavity to form.
- True. Initially, people may encounter tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. As the decay progresses, a toothache can form. If you have persistent pain or sensitivity, then please contact our team today. We can perform a diagnosis and see if you require treatment.
- True. A cavity continues to grow until eventually, bacteria can reach the tooth’s nerve center, also known as the pulp. An infection or abscess can then form, which will require treatment to avoid tooth loss.
- True. If we discover you have a cavity, then we may place a metal-free filling or in one visit, place a custom-made dental crown. A restoration can return the tooth to optimal appearance, function, and health.
ABOUT YOUR ROLLING MEADOWS, IL, COSMETIC DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and our highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including: Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-8030.
Leave a Reply