Periodontal disease impacts millions of people in the United States, often causing discomfort and in the advanced stages, leading to the onset of adult tooth loss. How do you treat periodontal disease? We actually have multiple treatment options, depending the cause and severity of each individual case.
Try Our Quiz on Treating Periodontal Disease
- True or False: A deep cleaning can help manage gum disease.
- True or False: Laser dentistry can address advanced cases.
- True or False: Pain and bleeding could be a sign you need treatment.
- True or False: You can take steps to help prevent gum disease.
- True. A scaling and root planing allows our team to remove plaque and tartar (calcified plaque) from the teeth and from the surface of the roots. Doing so can limit the severity of inflammation, reversing gingivitis or successfully managing periodontal disease to prevent the advanced stage, known as periodontitis, from impacting your teeth’s stability. The procedure can be performed in one visit, or in severe cases, between one and four visits.
- True. For severe cases, we can use laser dentistry to remove infected and damaged tissue. Healthy gum tissue can then adhere to the teeth and close periodontal pockets, reducing the severity of the disease. Benefits of laser dentistry include a reduced risk of infection, bleeding, and little to no need for aesthesia. The area will also not require sutures afterward.
- True. When you notice your gums bleed, appear red, or feel sore, then you could have a gum issue requiring attention. Don’t ignore these issues, instead contact our team right away.
- True. Preventing the disease often means you avoid smoking, brush your teeth twice a day, floss every night, and schedule a cleaning every six months.
ABOUT YOUR VERNON HILLS, IL, COSMETIC DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and our highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including: Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-8030.